Table of Contents
Nothing beats the nostalgic, unmistakable goodness of delicious, gooey s’mores! Now you can bring that classic flavor inside, anytime—without needing a bonfire! S’mores thumbprint cookies are an amazing twist on homemade sugar cookies, using only classic simple ingredients. The addition of mini marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate transforms this once-only-for-camping delight into an anytime family favorite!
WHY WE LOVE THIS S’MORES THUMBPRINT COOKIES RECIPE
- Quick and easy to make in under 20 minutes.
- Uses simple ingredients to bake a classic cookie filled with sweet s’mores flavors.
- Homemade sugar cookie base with crushed graham crackers baked inside.
- Gooey marshmallows and chocolate melt mess-free inside the cookie’s indent.
- Delicious way to deliver the fun of your favorite summer treat when you’re unable to make the real deal by a campfire.
- Perfect for potlucks, backyard barbecues, cookie exchanges, and dessert platters.
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- All-purpose flour
- Graham crackers
- Mini marshmallows
- Hershey chocolate bars
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
- Choose Your Chocolate: You can use the classic Hershey’s chocolate bars, chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips. Make them with dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate. You can even top your marshmallows with a Hershey’s Kiss.
- Graham Cracker Crumbles: Feel free to use honey, cinnamon or even chocolate graham crackers in this recipe.
- Cookie Crumbles: Instead of mixing graham crackers crumbs into the cookie dough, you can crush your favorite cookies, like Oreos, Fudge-Striped Cookies, Chip’s Ahoy Cookies, Nilla Wafers, etc. and add the cookie crumbles to the mixture.
HOW TO MAKE S’MORES THUMBPRINT COOKIES
S’mores Thumbprint Cookies are the easiest way to enjoy a delicious s’mores-flavored dessert in the form of a classic cookie. This simple recipe bakes the graham crackers right into the base and then fills the middles with melted marshmallows and chocolate–no campfire needed!
- Make The Mixture: Mix together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and continue to mix. Add the salt, flour, and crushed graham crackers, and mix until combined.
- Bake The Base: Scoop and roll 1 Tablespoon of the cookie batter into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press with your thumb to create a little well in each. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes.
Pro Tip: Leave at least a ½” between cookies on the baking sheet.
- Fill: Add 4 marshmallows to each cookie then top with two pieces of chocolate.
- Melt The Middle: Place back into the oven for 3 minutes, remove, and spread the melted chocolate/marshmallows with the back of a spoon.
- Cool: Cool for 10 minutes before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows, you can use kitchen scissors to cut regular marshmallows into quarters.
- To make graham cracker crumbs, you can use a food processor with a metal blade or place the graham crackers in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crumble them.
- To Store: Once the cookies have cooled completely, store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
More Delicious S’mores Recipes
S’mores Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- ¼ cup Light Brown Sugar packed
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Almond Extract
- 1-⅓ cups Graham Crackers crushed
- 80 Mini Marshmallows
- 4 Hershey Chocolate Bars
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter and both sugars and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract and continue to mix.
- Add the salt, flour and crushed graham crackers, continuing to mix until evenly combined.
- Take 1 Tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and press lightly with your thumb to create a little well.
- Repeat with the remaining mix, filling the cookie sheet with at least a ½” between cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then remove.
- Add 4 marshmallows to each cookie then top with two pieces of chocolate.
- Place back into the oven for 3 minutes and remove.
- Using the back of a spoon carefully spread the chocolate/marshmallows just a little.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows, you can use a kitchen scissors to cut regular marshmallows into quarters.
- To make graham cracker crumbs, you can use a food processor with metal blade or place the graham crackers in a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crumble them.